6.30.2011

THE BEST Banana Bread

So, I have had bananas decaying on my counter for about a week (in a super cute bowl-thing we got at one of the wedding showers) and once they started down that path, I figured I'd save them for a rockin' banana bread recipe.

Of which I don't have.

I also, randomly, have a bucket full of walnuts on my counter because I decided I needed more Omega-3s in my life. And then I found out walnuts don't have ALL the Omega-3s you need for healthiness so I kinda slacked off on eating them. I then found Omega-3 supplements but for kids in a gummy version!! That was awesome until I discovered I had to eat like 6-8 a day for the adult amount and went through the bottle in like a week. LAME. ADULTS LIKE GUMMY VITAMINS TOO.

So, after much research, I settled on a recipe discovered from the Neelys of the Food Network. I have to say, I was a lil disappointed with Pioneer Woman and Tasty Kitchen. Nothing really jumped out. Perused a few cooking/baking blogs, less than impressed. Went back to the ol FN site and this one was 3rd or 4th on the list for top ratings. And I gotta say, those crazies weren't lying.

Momma Callie's Banana Nut Bread (as originally created by Pat & Gina Neely from the Food Network, http://bit.ly/ahvKUj)
Ingredients:

  • 1 stick butter, at room temperature, plus more for loaf pan*
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large very ripe bananas
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs**
  • 1/2 cup sour cream***
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans****

  • *I used a bundt pan, which worked WAY better, and only cooked for about 45 minutes. Some of the commenters complained that the batter spilled over while cooking in a regular loaf pan.
  • **I used 3 Eggbeaters Whites. Which was 9 Tablespoons. I have no idea what that is in cups.
  • ***I had just under 1/2 cup, and I used the reduced fat. I filled the rest of the 1/2 cup up with milk.
  • ****I used the delicious fresh chopped walnuts. I personally think walnuts go better in the banana bread, but whatevs.

  • Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and put a rack on the middle shelf. Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan.
    In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
    In a separate small bowl, mash the bananas with a wooden spoon, leaving a bit of texture.
    In another large bowl, use a hand electric mixer or stand mixer to cream the 1/2 cup of butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla and beat until just combined. Add the dry ingredients and gently stir in pecans. Pour the batter into the pan and put on a sheet tray.
    Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes (this is if you are using the traditional loaf pan; with the bundt pan it was 45). Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Slice and serve with Honey Butter.
    *Cook's Note: To ripen bananas quickly, put them into a paper bag and fold down the top. The bananas should ripen in 2 days. (I thought this was a pretty good tip, bc sometimes you just want banana bread right away and it just ain't happnin')
    Honey Butter issue: I didn't originally mention anything about it, but the recipe does call to spread some homemade honey butter (1/2 cup butter, 2 TB honey) on the finished product. I think it tasted pretty good, BC thought the bread was just fine without it. So to each his own on that one. And seriously, if you put this batter in a bundt pan, with butter on the pan covered with flour, for 45 minutes on 350, it will come out so beautiful and squishy and delicious. Oh dear.
    GO BUY SOME BANANAS PEOPLE AND MAKE THIS RECIPE!!!

No comments: