5.21.2011

Coupons and McGriddles

I watched Extreme Couponing for the first time, all the way through, about a week ago. While I think those women are ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS ( I mean, what housewife really needs 400 cases of Powerade or 90 bottles of hot sauce) I can see how being a diligent couponer in general would be very helpful. So, I've decided to take up the hobby. I am realizing that It will probably take a couple months of collecting coupons before we actually will see some real good deals, and I don't expect to get $200 dollars in groceries for .37 anytime soon, but it doesn't hurt to at least knock a couple bucks off the grand total!

Yesterday marked the BIG 6 for me and BC!! I can't believe how the time has flown. While this has possibly been the suckiest 6 months of my life career-wise, it has been the best six months of my life, period. BC told me this morning he realizes his purpose in life right now definitely involves me and keeping me sane. I totally have to agree. :)

So, since I worked yesterday and didn't get to do anything fun for breakfast, I decided to make him something fun this morning. Up on the menu: sausage McGriddles. His fave.

I researched some yesterday, and found that people had some success in freezing syrup and then breaking it in little pieces. McDonalds has those fun little bits of maple goodness in their sandwiches, so that's the most important thing to recreate.

So here's my picture by picture attempt, but the stupid flash was on for most of them. Boo.

Mmmm, mmmm the pancake batter. I tried to make ours a little healthier with the HeartSmart Bisquik, EggBeaters egg whites, and skim milk.

Get yo skillet ready!

Since the maple syrup didn't freeze enough to break up, I poured it right into the batter. Now, since this is the step I ended up having to take, at this point I should have used maple extract or something. Next time I'll definitely stick the syrup in the freezer for at least overnight, if not longer.

Here is the beginning of the pancakes...

 39,000 pancakes later....

 Love watching the lil bubbles come up :)

 Then,  I cooked up the turkey sausage. I went with turkey to keep with the healthy theme. As you can see, the turkey patties were super tiny, so I made the pancakes super tiny too. Of course, this makes tiny skinny pancakes, so when we made the sandwiches, I put two on top and two on bottom.

Once I could see the light at the end of the pancake tunnel, I started with the eggs. Of course, the eggs were super thin as well, so flipping them was a huge challenge.

The finished product! I gotta say, all in all, not too bad. Of course, they don't taste like the real thing, but the pancakes were sweet, the sausage and egg were savory, and the cheese was perfectly melted :)
BC gave them a thumbs up!


Also, please notice the time on the clock says 9:54. I went into the kitchen at 8:20. YEP. Mcdonald's is about 5 minutes away.

No comments: